Sunday 4 December 2011

St. Martin's Cwmyoy

Grave stone with cherub heads, Cwmyoy
I mis-read the sign posts for this church as Cwmjoy and asked for directions as such. The narrow steep lanes and blind bends increased my sense of anticipation and I was not disappointed. The church is delightfully wobbly, with hardly any horizontal or vertical planes. Unfortunately I could not drive up  to the church, as the parking space is narrow, and my great chunky van would allow me to park, but not open the driver's door. The building is surrounded by private houses that back on to the church grounds.

The verger came over, as I was sketching the East end of the church, and asked me what I was up to . He knows the verger of the church at Llangua (who I think is the same chap who mends my strimmers). Various other people were wandering around taking photographs.

There is an excellent leaflet about the church that starts off with its history, (middle ages, but pre-dated by an older church) and its relationship to Llanthony Priory. Then it looks at the wobbliness (caused by the geology) and interior structure and memorials. "Many of them are by members of the renowned Brute family who carved many memorials in and around the churches of the Black Mountains. Characteristic of many of them are cherub's heads and baskets of flowers." It records the eventful story of the mediaeval cross that was stolen in 1967 and ended up in London. It also details the inscriptions on the six bells that are never rung because the bell frame is wonky.

Alongside the leaflet are four postcards  showing the view looking down on the church from the East  an image of the cross, and some memorials.
Postcard, Cwmyoy

Postcard of mediaeval cross, Cwmyoy

Postcard, Cwmyoy

Postcard, Cwmyoy

No comments:

Post a Comment